The development of my research project topic underwent changes as the semester went on. As you will see in my research proposal, I had originally started out wanting to research alcohol and pregnancy. But as I moved through my research,  I struggled to find sources, especially Canadian sources. After we had a doula come into our class and share her profession and knowledge with us, it changed the direction I wanted to take my research. After another trip to the librarian, I had almost twice as many sources on my new altered topic as I did on my previous one. I decided to take my research in the route more focused on the Medicalization of Childbirth. I was able to enjoy and learn a substantial amount from this research paper.

Changing my research topic was an important learning experience for me because I had to sit back and actually think about where I could take my paper with the sources I had. It made me look deeper into sources and try to figure out which ones would be best to use and would benefit my argument. By looking at the medicalization of childbirth, I was able to look more in depth at medical journals and experiences of doctors, midwives, and patients themselves. This added substantial evidence to my argument and added a more personable aspect to my paper.